Daniel Monti, MD, MBA
Andrew Newberg, MD
George Zabrecky, DC, MD
The Marcus Institute’s comprehensive, interdisciplinary care model for brain assessment and recovery is designed to meet the specific needs of those who have suffered a concussive injury and those who have cognitive issues from illness or aging. We use the most cutting-edge assessment technologies combined with innovative and proven approaches to aid in healing and recovery. Our experienced staff works closely with patients and their families to provide a unique health experience:
We offer an Optimal Brain Full Day Assessment that includes the most advanced brain imaging available along with neurological testing, functional evaluations, cognitive assessments, and more, using a truly integrated team approach. In addition, many will also qualify for the Optimal Brain Two Week Intensive Program that has some of the most advanced therapeutics available anywhere in the world.
Please contact our program manager, Daniel Jaquish at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Optimal Brain: Full-Day, In-Person Assessment +
Who is this for?
1. Anyone experiencing concerns about age-related cognitive decline;
2. Anyone who has had a concussion/concussive injury (from direct head trauma, blast injuries, athletic injuries, etc.) and continues to have symptoms/challenges; and,
3. Anyone wanting a thorough second opinion assessment related to a diagnosed cognitive disorder from either a disease process (e.g., Parkinson’s Disease and others) or post-concussive syndrome, including recommendations for possible integrative treatments.
What is involved?
This is a full, one-day assessment (usually 8:30 am to 4:30 pm) at the Marcus Institute of Integrative Health, Villanova, PA. The components of the assessment include:
Comprehensive Laboratory Panel (Done prior to visit)
· Laboratory testing in advance of visit to determine baseline, key physiological factors for body and brain health. (Blood draw can occur onsite or a lab slip will be sent to participants who live outside the area*)
Advanced Brain Imaging with our state-of-the-art PET-MRI scanner
· Few medical centers in the world have the technology to combine Magnetic Resonance imaging (MRI) that provides exceptional visualization of brain structures, with Positron Emission Tomography (PET) that provides exceptional visualization of brain functionality
· This highly advanced, integrated scan is a game changer in brain health assessment
History, Physical, and Neurological Examination
· Full physician review of medical history, current conditions, health concerns, and medications
· A complete physical assessment will be done by program physician/neurologist
· Auditory screening
· Vision screening for potential visual impairment
· Cognitive function screening including memory, recall, executive function, visual & motor reaction time, and processing time
· Assessment of other factors that affect brain function such as sleep quality, neurological issues, hormonal changes, and cardiovascular health
Brain-Body Functional Assessment
· A personalized and comprehensive functional assessment of sensory and motor functions, including strength, balance, coordination, and sensory discrimination
· Oculomotor and vestibular screening
· Functional cognition testing including executive functioning abilities such as attention, working memory, planning, and organization
Brain-Body Stress Assessment
· Technological assessment of the brain and body’s response to stress
· Mental health screenings for common problems that affect brain function
· Heart Rate Variability (HRV) to assess potential imbalances in the autonomic nervous system (responsible for regulating key body functions)
· End of day meeting with program physician and key others for a full review of the day’s findings and recommendations
· Specific recommendations for the path forward including a personalized “Functional Health Plan”
· A comprehensive medical report will be mailed within two weeks
*For participants requiring a lab slip for testing outside our facility, any charges and insurance issues are the responsibility of the participant
Optimal Brain: Two-week Intensive Training Program (On-site) +
This is a cutting edge, customized, 2-week outpatient treatment program (Monday-Friday from 9am to 5pm) at the Marcus Institute of Integrative Health, Villanova, PA.
Since 2015 when the program was launched, the treatment approach has been continuously updated with the latest integrative medicine breakthroughs available.
Who is this for?
Anyone who has completed the Optimal Brain Assessment and was determined to have functional and performance issues that could be addressed by our innovative combination of cognitive re-training, integrated rehabilitative therapies, resilience training, advanced brain nutrition, oxygen therapy, and more. This program is for a wide range of people, from those with impairments that affect work performance to those who are trying to get back some of the edge that was lost from an injury. As such, we have highly customized tracks. The two-week, personalized, intensive plans contain a combination of the following, all of which are included in the program fee:
· Two personalized sessions: scheduled at the beginning and end of the program with an expert board-certified Neurologist to determine overall brain health treatment goals, individualized training plan, and treatment summary
· Neurology support: throughout the program as well as recommendations post-program
· Neuro-cognitive Training: Expertly guided training using a proprietary combination of advanced digital platforms that reinforce brain performance pathways, new learning and growth
Advanced Rehabilitative Therapies
· Integrative Occupational Therapy: All participants will benefit from this approach to long-term functional status. Individual sessions focus on 3-5 personalized goals for enhanced functional performance. Goal progress is tracked and strategies are developed and reworked during each individual session. The overarching goal is to improve real performance in meaningful activities such as work, mobility, specific skills, etc., and to improve overall quality of life.
· Physical Integration Training: All participants will have the benefit of a comprehensive physiological assessment along with a customized program with interventions designed to address goals for postural control, balance, core strength, pain, and balance/stability. Participants will leave with a maintenance plan to maximize vascular tone and support optimal brain-body balance.
· Communication Integration: As indicated, an expert therapist will evaluate and design interventions to address any cognitive-communication problems, voice difficulties, and other challenges with neurological integration.
Precision Resilience & Recovery Therapies
· Oxygen Rejuvenation Therapy: Increases the amount of oxygen in the blood, which has been shown to promote healing throughout the body, including the brain.
· Sleep Reboot: Enhanced sleep quality for optimal brain function is addressed with innovative vibroacoustic sleep training, and other modalities. Patients will follow a research-backed plan for retraining the functional connectivity of brain areas responsible for sleep.
Cutting Edge Brain Nutrition
· Nutritional Medicine: A Marcus Institute physician will perform a detailed review of lab results to recommend dietary modifications and targeted nutrient supplementation to support the brain, all of which are included in the 2-week program.
· Micronutrient infusions: may be recommended as part of the 2-week program, to address insufficiencies and promote healing of the body and brain.
· Dietary and Lifestyle coaching: integral to the program to support optimal brain health and function during and after the program period. Brain healthy foods will be available for daily lunches and snacks.
Innovative Mind-Body Therapies
· Mental and Emotional Health: integral to overall brain performance and well-being. Several individualized sessions with our integrative mental health professionals to ensure that any mind-body health concerns are identified and addressed. This includes advanced coping strategies with current challenges, major life events and other stressors.
· Neuro-Emotional Technique: which has been shown to have a dramatic impact on several patient groups by changing how the brain communicates with itself and the rest of the body.
· Biofeedback/Neurofeedback techniques: to monitor and control body functions such as blood pressure, breathing patterns, heart rate, and muscle tension to enhance the brain/body connection for improved stress management, pain management, and brain-body control.
· Mind-Body Balance: offered in combinations of group and individual sessions and led by expert instructors who utilize evidence-based practices of mindfulness-based stress reduction (MBSR). Other healing arts are incorporated into some of these sessions so to allow creative expression, another proven strategy for mind-body health.